Bansko Snowshoeing Adventure
Tired of the resort vibe of Bansko? Want some peace and quiet exploring the remote parts of the mountain? Join us on a snowshoeing trip in the area. You can choose among three of the most amazing mountains in Bulgaria – Rila, Pirin and Rhodope, all situated not more than an hour from the resort.
While Pirin with its alpine-like appearance and steep slopes rising up to 2914 meters offers wild views, the south sides of Rila are more gentle and easy for snowshoeing. Rhodopes are one of a kind located between the higher mountains, which provides great panoramas to both Rila and Pirin. The old villages, where people maintain the same lifestyle from 100 years ago, can be a truly unique experience worth having.
The Balkan mountains are waiting for you!
- Ascent of Mount Bezbog | Pirin Mountains: We will drive from Bansko to Dobrinishte (40 min) and then get on the chair lift which will bring us 2140m above sea level. It takes about 2 hours to reach Bezbog while gaining +400m of vertical elevation. The route is possible even if the snow conditions in the lower parts of the mountains are not so good. The views from the top of the mountain are spectacular and include most of the Pirin Peaks as well as Rila and Rhodope Mountains.
- Around Ortsevo Village | Rhodope Mountains: many claim that this is the highest village in Bulgaria, located at around 1600 m above the sea. Apart from being an isolated area, not popular among the tourists, the village offers dramatic views towards Pirin Mountains. The trek is easy, up to +300m of elevation gain. About 1 hour drive from Bansko.
- Vihren Hut and Baykusheva Mura: We start from the ski area of Bansko and pass by the oldest tree in the mountains of Bulgaria – Baykusheva Mura – a 1300 years old conifer. We then continue upwards to Vihren Hut situated at 1950m.
- Semkovo | Rila Mountains: Semkovo is a small ski resort located at about 1600m. With around +800 m of ascent through the beautiful conifer forests we will reach the main ridge of Rila Mountains and enjoy the great views of the highest mountain range on the Balkans. The place is about 1 hour drive from Bansko and the trip may include a visit to the Bears Sanctuary in Belitsa village.
- Ascent of Mount Hvoynati | Pirin Mountains: this trek is challenging as it has +1000m of elevation gain and goes through the valley of Bunderitsa and further up towards the peak. The participants in this adventure will be rewarded with magnificent views of Mount Vihren and the rest of Pirin Mountains.
How do we source our prices:
- Balkan Vagabondz receives a client request.
- The BV coordinator then reaches out to all the guides and guiding companies in the network to gather information on possible itineraries, availability and prices.
- Once we have all the options we send them to the client so he/she can select the best price, date and itinerary.
Please note negotiating prices is not always possible.
Essentially we are a price, availability and itinerary comparison site that helps people meet their adventure needs and save time along with providing extra customer service and consultation on top of the services you receive. All of this is free of charge as commission is taken from the suppliers.
What to bring?
- Local Insurance (included)
- Pocket money
- Hiking boots – waterproof and warm, above the ankle, stiff sole
- Water and windproof jacket with a hood
- Water and windproof trousers
- Warm hat, thin pair of winter gloves / mittens
- Thermal underwear, light down jacket or a warm fleece
- Sun protection – sun cream, sun glasses, sun hat
- Snowshoes and trekking poles (included in the price)
- Water bottle or, preferably, flask – 1/1,5l
- Snacks, lunch pack
What is included?
- Professional Guiding
- Hiking poles
How to book your place?
You can simply register by using the web form on the right-hand side, e-mail, call or message us on facebook or twitter and we will contact our local guide to move forward with your booking.